The biggest sporting event in the USA (and possibly the world) happens this weekend in East Rutherford, New Jersey! Super Bowl XLVIII will kick off at 6:25 this Sunday February 2. The game will be televised on FOX and feature the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos. Here are a few “off the wall” tid bits that you might wanna know:
1) There will be no blimp coverage of the game due to the weather. It seems that wind, severe cold, rain and snow just don’t mix well with a blimp. The snow and sleet can accumulate on the airship and that makes it unsafe to fly. MetLife is really pissed as they not only have a blimp … they also have the naming rights to the stadium the game is being played in!
2) Denver Radio Station “99.5 The Mountain” has banned all Seattle artists from their playlist this week. That means no Heart, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Dave Matthews or Jim Hendrix tunes will be heard! I bet they play the hell out of John Denver songs!
3) There will be over 80,000 fans, 10,000 event employees, 3,000 security guards and close to 500 police officers in the stadium. Gates will open at noon and people should be ready for long, time consuming security check-points. Authorities also have K-9 units and numerous high-tech gadgets to monitor everything and everybody. This will be the most expensive security cost in the history of the game with a 2.5-mile chain link perimeter fence, cameras on every inch of the stadium and surrounding grounds, special forces watching all bridges, tunnels and roadways. All mass transit (busses, cabs, subways, etc) will be monitored as will all waterways and surrounding marshes.
4) Usually Super Bowl tickets are very hard to obtain but that’s not the case this year. Tickets 3 days before the game are usually in the $3,500 to $5,000 price range but for this year’s “Stupid Bowl” (stupid because the game should NEVER be played in a cold weather city) tickets can be found online for cheap! As of Thursday afternoon, StubHub has over 3,000 tickets at $1,515 … SeatGeek has over two dozen at $1,250 and the NFL Ticket Exchange has 500 left at $1,500. Nice move NFL … bet you won’t see another Super Bowl in Ney York for a while!
5) Each fan’s seat will come with a “Welcome Package” that includes a seat cushion, muffler, ski gaiters, 3 pairs of hand/foot warmers, lip balm and a package of tissues … isn’t that nice!
6) If you are stupid enough to drive your car to MetLife Stadium be ready for the traffic jam from hell! Your car will be X-rayed, truck searched and the fee will be a whopping $150 … if you can find a spot!
7) If you are wearing that new Peyton Manning jersey you bought from the guy on the street, you better make sure it isn’t counterfeit. The NFL is taking a serious stance on fake merchandise and they have said counterfeit items will be seized. Now I’m sorry, if I just shelled out $100 for a Marshawn Lynch jersey, you ain’t taking it off my back without a fight! Go arrest the guy who sold it but keep your paws off me! I do understand confiscating a fake game ticket but not clothing.
8) The weather forecast looks pretty good with temperatures at kickoff estimated to be around 36 degrees and they could dip into the high twenties in the second half. Winds will only be 5-10 mph and there’s only a slight chance of precipitation. Super Bowl VI was the coldest ever at 39 degrees, Super Bowl XIV had 30 MPH winds and in Super Bowl XXXIV the city of Atlanta had a severe ice storm that knocked out electricity to 500,000 people.
9) The game “spot” started with the Seattle Seahawks being a one point favorite. That quickly changed and at press time, the Denver Broncos are 2 point favorites! The “over/under” (total amount of points scored by both teams) has fluctuated between 47 and 47.5 points.
10) Other crazy proposition bets include: Who will the Super Bowl MVP mention first in his speech: teammates, God, fans, his Coach or the team owner? … What will be the color of the Gatorade dumped on the winning coach’s head? … Will any member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers be shirtless during halftime? … and Will Bruno Mars wear a hat when he starts the halftime show?
Wow … There it is everybody! Everything you didn’t know about this year’s big game! FYI I’, picking the Denver Broncos to come away with a 34-21 victory and Peyton manning will be “Going to Disneyland” as game MVP!